Thursday, May 28, 2015

Post cereal expiration (or best before) date

According to Post Food official website, in the FAQ states that due date is in the following format: yymmdd (or 13JN01 means 1st Jan 2013). However, when production/printing is not standardised or updated, you will get confused with the following (see Fig).
-
A simple search at Google didn't help to enlighten me about how to read the expiration date. I can't recall when the unopened box was purchased. That complicated the interpretation,  e.g. is the expiration date in 2012 (3 yrs ago! ) or 2015 (just recently).
-
My wife suggested we try the cereal and if they are bad, we will know. I didn't want neither her nor me to get poisoning, so I decided to visit the local supermarket to find out.
-
At the supermarket, on the box states mmmddyyA## (e.g. SEP122015T01). The alpha numeral (or A##) at the end of the numbering had no informative value to customers and Post Food should just remove/separate them from the best before/expiration date (to avoid confusion).
-
Also, Post Food FAQ website need to be updated because the format yymmdd don't apply here.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment