Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Dengue alert in the neighbourhood

Recently, it has been hot and rainy and surely a pleasant time for mosquitoes to breed. Not all mosquitoes are bad, but the ones that carry pathogens that can harm people should be avoided.

For example, mosquitoes that carry the parasite that causes malaria belongs to the genera Culex, Anopheles, Culiseta, Mansonia, and Aedes could act as Plasmodium carriers (Wikipedia).

Physical appearance of the mosquitoes belonging to the genera Culex, Anopheles, Culiseta, and Mansonia. The Aedes mosquito is not shown. A mosquito pest control company has a site with a comprehensive description of mosquitoes and the corresponding pathogens, "Mosquito control - Mosquitoes in Malaysia" (JamesWhiteAnt).
Mosquito that carries the Dengue virus belongs to Aedes. For further information about the mode of transmission (and a brief introduction), read "Dengue transmission" (Nature) and "dengue control" (WHO).

Aedes aegypti mosquito (sourced VectorBase).
 In Singapore, active cluster of dengue outbreak can be referred to "Location of Active clusters" by DengueGovSg. Bishan and Tanah Merah currently in the red alert (with more dengue cases reported there).

Mine is at yellow alert. The National Environment Agency (NEA) officer came to visit my home recently to advise on removing probable mosquito breeding grounds, e.g. flower pots, plate, pail, slots for hanging poles outside to dry clothes, bathroom and toilet area.

The advisory note on Dengue had three important key points
  1. Remove mosquito breeding ground
  2. Kill the mosquito larvae and adults with insecticide
  3. Avoid getting bitten (Aedes mosquitoes bite at certain time and by avoiding outdoor activities around that time would be advisable)
Dengue alert - Take immediate action advisory note from NEA. Key points are highlighted.

For now, I guess if I am to bring my children out, I should at least use/wear the mosquito repellent on them. In addition, I should avoid bringing them out to sit at park's bench (and tempt mosquitoes to feast on us). I'm a B+ blood group and my kids are AB+. I'm not sure about the association between blood group and mosquito bites, but I can say that if I am among friends, I'm a "mosquito magnet". My kids are more prone to bites than me (so I can't shield them from bites by attracting mosquitoes to me instead).

Note that once an individual has been infected by dengue virus, that individual is immune against the virus. However, there are four types (or serotypes) of the virus. Immune against one doesn't preclude infection by the other three types. Also, if an individual is infected by one type followed by another at a short period of time, this individual could experience a severe immune response (due to the body memorizing the first attack and primed to give "all out" response to the second one - aka dengue shock syndrome (DSS)).

Summary
  • Identify the type of mosquito that carries the Dengue virus.
  • Check the information pertaining to where (or which alert level) the Dengue outbreak in my residential area is (DengueGovSg)
  • What to do to prevent breeding of the mosquito.
  • Protect ourselves by usage of insecticide and repellents.

No comments:

Post a Comment